Friday 20 January 2012

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

From Shakespeare to Salinger, the literary world abounds with witty, wise and wonderful quotes, either drawn from the pages of a much-loved novel, or declared by an outspoken author. Often bandied about during dinner, or taking pride of place on an art student's wall, a good quote can become the header of a fashion piece ("All that glisters is not gold" for a feature on sequined jumpsuits, anyone?); influence a multitude of emo bands ("We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"); or even be read aloud to a betrothed couple on their wedding day ("Those that truly love, have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two").


Rather predictably, my favourite literary quote comes courtesy of the shy and self-effacing Oscar Wilde, whose seemingly endless supply of sayings could fill my blog posts for the next few years. But the one that always stays with me is thus:
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
And as I peruse my empty bank account while gazing lovingly at my collection of Marc and Mulberry bags this statement feels more appropriate than ever. But with one week until pay day, and only £40 left to spend, was that £50 Estee Lauder Idealist serum worth it? (answer: still undecided); do those collagen-boosting Chantecaille lipsticks really work? (answer: YES!); did my sister appreciate that Vivienne Westwood purse I NOW REALLY WANT FOR MYSELF? (answer: not enough) and was that White Company dressing gown for the D-boy preferable to him stealing mine all the time? (answer: he seems to like it, so I guess so). Then there's the three-course dinners for friends around ours, after-work meet ups in various London bars, gym membership for the Power Plates, and monthly(ish) trips back to the motherland to take into account. Oh yes, and the small matter of a desire for perfectly straight teeth. And winter sun. Ah well, at least I have imagination.   


1 comment:

  1. I do very much appreciate my Vivienne Westwood purse, it was definitely money well spent! x

    ReplyDelete