Thursday 26 January 2012

Good enough to seat

One of the best things about growing up at home was the chocolate cupboard. Crammed with digestive-filled tupperware and old sweet tins overflowing with multi-packs, this magical spot was perfect for delving into after a 'hard' day at school. Pulling up a chair to access the highest shelves, our faces would drop if the only spoils were Penguins, but light up if we hit the treat jackpot: Tunnock's Caramel Wafers. These paper-covered, chunky bars of chocolate goodness would disappear almost instantly as the Rayner Gannets descended, prompting my dad to repeatedly declare: "I'm not buying Caramel Wafers again, you lot just eat them!" (As opposed to the Blue Ribbons and Penguins which would hang around for days until desperation kicked in).

But why the nostalgia? Well, this fond trip down memory lane was prompted by my daily Emerald Street email, which alerted me to the artistic talents of Nikki McWilliams. Her lovingly hand-stitched, quirky designs are inspired by pop culture and iconic British biscuits, and the pièce de résistance? The Caramel Wafer cushions, of course. 


Dad, if you buy me a couple of these I promise they'll last longer than 30 seconds.

2 comments:

  1. Tehe my brother and I once wrote to Tunnocks when we were kids and they sent us boxes of Caramel Wafers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm, how jel am I? I also can't believe you read my blog - it's so unintentionally boring!

    ReplyDelete